Register Now for Extension’s Organic Certification Workshop
The Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension will offer an Introduction to Organic Certification Workshop as part of its Enhancing Sustainability Series from 2:00-5:00 p.m. on Tuesday March 6 at the Chatham County Agriculture & Conference Center in Pittsboro. Chatham County Agricultural Extension Agent Debbie Roos will present an overview of the organic certification process and regulations and demonstrate some of the helpful resources available to farmers. Participants will leave the workshop with a good understanding of the steps they need to take to get their farm certified organic.
- Background & History of Organics
- Organic Certification Basics
- Main Regulations for Crop Production
- Allowed and prohibited inputs
- Soil and fertility management
- Seed and planting stock
- Crop rotation
- Pest management
- Main Regulations for Livestock Production
- Feed and forage
- Living conditions
- Pasture (for ruminants)
- Steps for Certification
- Organic System Plan
- Common Mistakes
- Certification Costs
- Resources for Growers
Advance registration is required for this workshop. The cost of the workshop is $15 and includes handouts. Call 919-542-8244 or email Debbie Roos for more information. The deadline to register is February 28.
There are two ways to register:
- Register on-line! First, fill out this google form. Once you fill out the form, then click here to pay on-line. There will be a 3% service charge added to the registration cost for on-line registration.
- Fill in the registration form on-line here, then print and mail with your check.