The Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension will offer a High Tunnel Production workshop as part of its Enhancing Sustainability Series on Monday, August 11, 2014 from 1:00-5:00 pm at the auditorium of the Agriculture Building in Pittsboro, NC. High tunnels can be used to extend the growing season and enhance growth, yield, and quality of a wide variety of horticultural crops. This workshop is intended for beginner high tunnel growers, or growers interested in purchasing their first high tunnel.
- Why Use a High Tunnel? Advantages & Disadvantages
- Selecting a Structure
- Comparing Costs & Performance of High Tunnels
- Site Selection & Tunnel Orientation
- Selecting Crops for High Tunnels
- Basics of High Tunnel Production: Fertility, Irrigation, Pest & Disease Management
- Cost Sharing Opportunities
- Resources & Suppliers for High Tunnel Growers
Visit the workshop section of the Growing Small Farms website for complete details and to download a registration form. Deadline to register is August 5!